Monday, July 21, 2008

Sarah Jessica Parker lands show at Bravo

I'm sure that every artist that reads this is going to run out and apply to be on the show (item found at multiple sites). Or not. This isn't really local to the Bay Area but it's so off the wall that I couldn't resist posting it. Art as a competitive sport that spectators find interesting - I don't think so. It's not that artists aren't competitive because they are - ferociously so. But making art is not the most exciting thing to watch and I can't image many artists would be able to create much while the TV cameras, crew and all the assorted noise is going on around them. Any bets as to how long the show lasts?

Aspiring artists to compete to produce various artwork

By James Hibberd

July 20, 2008, 12:00 PM ET

Updated: July 20, 2008,

Sarah Jessica Parker's art competition reality show has found a home at Bravo.

The network has picked up "American Artist," from Parker's Pretty Matches production company and wunderkin producers Magical Elves, as part of its development slate. Bravo is expected to announce the deal Sunday at the Television Critics Assn. press tour.

The hourlong show has been described by the Elves team of Dan Cutforth and Jane Lipsitz as a "Project Runway"-style competition series that takes on the art world. Aspiring artists compete to produce various styles of artwork (painting, sculpting, etc.), which is then judged by a panel of experts. The network declined to comment.

If ordered to series, the art project show would give Bravo another skill-driven reality show to its lineup, along with the Elves' "Top Chef" and "Top Design."

Parker, Cutforth and Lipsitz shopped the art series earlier this year, before the Weinstein Co. made a deal to move the Elves' Bravo hit "Runway" to Lifetime. The Elves defected from "Runway" when the duo signed an overall deal in May with Bravo's parent company NBC Universal.

Facing the loss of its top-rated show, Bravo has said it will significantly increase its development slate this year by about 45%, including opening up a fourth night of original programming on Mondays.

Good article here: http://twocoatsofpaint.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

leslie said...

This comes under the category of "I never thought I'd see the day."

I think there is a public perception that artists are wacky and wild, free from the constraints of conventionality, so maybe that is a draw.

Well. Who knew. I'm glad you posted this.

Nancy Ewart said...

Do you suppose that Sarah will come out - like Heidi on Project Runway - and declaim "You're IN. You're OUT!!" LOL!

Pamela Heyda said...

It was only a matter of time... If this show becomes as popular as she is it could influence sales or styles, or awareness of contemporary art. It could also make artists look bad. My first reaction was to retch. On second thought, depending on how tastefully the show is done, it could have some interest. Perhaps I'm looking at it too personally. It's just another reality show. I doubt I'll be watching, I don't have cable.

Nancy Ewart said...

I can't imagine that the show will promote thoughtful art. What I fear is that it will promote the current cartoon based or trend du jour. SF is full of small galleries that are filled to the brim with - excuse the word - crap! Every young kid out of art school gets his (and sometimes her) moment in the sun and unless they strike it big first time out, that's it. Kaput. I haven't kept track of all the winners on the various shows on Bravo but it would be interesting to go back and see how well they are doing, years after winning (or not). But being an artist - especially these days - can't be just about winning a reality show. I suppose that I should be glad that artists, of whatever stripe, are getting some PR but I'm afraid that it will turn into the usual 3-ring circus. Artists who are not part of the mainstream will be even more discouraged.
But I guess I shouldn't judge until the show airs.