Monday, November 17, 2008

The Fauves at SFMOMA

Matisse, Madame Matisse (Femme au Chapeau, 1905)



"Paysage du Midi, 1906"

I went to see the Puryer exhibit at SF MOMA which is serenely beautiful but these hot, passionate pieces seemed more appropriate for our hot weather. I visit and revisit the permanent collection at SF MOMA. It certainly has it's weaknesses - the lack of women painters, for instance - and the lack of depth in certain parts of the collection. But the Matisse and the Derain are among my favorite works. Whenever I can't understand something modern, I remember how these works were mocked and the artists insulted when they were first displayed. It makes me wonder how much of late 20th century art will be viewed in 100 years. Will the museum goers of the future love Matthew Barney, Damien Hirst, Jeff Koons the way that some of us love Matisse and Derain? What do you think?

No comments: